Growing a Sustainable Supply Chain
KANSAS CITY, MO. – On September 20, 2023, BlueScope Buildings North America hosted its inaugural Supplier Sustainability Summit. Representatives from more than twenty suppliers attended the event.
The primary focus of this gathering was to propel the realization of a sustainable supply chain within the built environment.
Before the summit, BlueScope Buildings outlined these goals.
- Urge construction industry suppliers to commit to a sustainable journey with BlueScope Buildings.
- Encourage supplier agreements that provide customers with more transparency about lower-carbon options.
- Continue to create and inspire smart solutions in steel.
Ryan Richardson, who supports innovation and sustainability at BlueScope Buildings, shared the organization’s sustainability-oriented approach. This mindset involves investing in responsible products and practices to:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Support the transition to renewable and low-carbon energy.
- Build resiliency and a circular economy.
Richardson also cited specific examples and highlights from the BlueScope 2023 Sustainability Report.
Distinguished Supplier Sustainability Summit presenters included Kingspan Insulated Panels, Bay Insulation, Gerdau, and North Star representatives. Each offered inspiration and insight into their energy-efficiency-efficiency initiatives, encompassing:
- Activating a circular economy
- Product and process innovation
- Advanced technology development
- Locally and sustainably sourced materials.
Richard Ley, Director of Procurement at BlueScope Buildings, underscored the significance of committing to a long-term sustainability journey. He affirmed that BlueScope Buildings is actively engaging its suppliers to address the three pillars of sustainability (environmental, social, and economic). BlueScope Buildings is also working to provide a low-carbon, highly recyclable product offering.
For more information about BlueScope Buildings North America and its sustainability efforts, visit our sustainability page.